The land occupied by the Community Centre and Bowling Green was originally allotments, with each allotment owner forbidden under covenant from building more than two houses. This covenant still exists on the land.
The site of the bowling green was originally owned by James Doubleday who lived in Mapperley and worked as a Nurseryman. When he died in 1954 he left the land equally between the Salvation Army, the Royal British Legion, the PDSA and the vicar of St Jude’s Church as his only son was killed in action during the First World War.
The site was then bought by Carlton Urban District Council which became part of Gedling Borough Council in the 1970s.